Sixties Chronology, 1960-1975

SIXTIES-L (SIXTIES-L@jefferson.village.virginia.edu)
Thu, 26 Dec 1996 00:03:57 -0500

[1]

From: epm2@lehigh.edu (TED MORGAN)
Subject: Re: sixties course recommendations

A belated response to William Whitehurst's inquiries.

>First: does anyone know of a good chronology of events from say 1960-1975
>(at the latest) that I could use? The more detailed and inclusive the
>better.

Don't think you've gotten an answer to this one, yet. I have a fairly lengthy
chronology (year-by-year, though not by specific dates) from 1960 though 1970
in my book (The Sixties Experience: Hard Lessons about Modern America -Temple
U. Press, 1992).

>Fourth: though I have already selected my two main texts-- Terry H.
>Anderson, The Movement and the Sixties (Oxford, 1995) and Alexander Bloom
>and Wini Breines, eds., "Takin' it to the streets": a Sixties Reader"
>(Oxford, 1995)-- I would welcome other suggestions and/or comments on the
>two I have selected. I am, not of course, entirely satisfied with either
>text, but they are the best I've come across.
>Finally: any suggestions, comments, etc., on teaching such a course. What
>works, doesn't work, and so on. This is an adult continuing education
>class, so I have to keep the material relatively accessible.

I like Bloom and Breines very much --used for the first time last year, in
conjunction with my own book (which is different from Terry Anderson's more
chronological run-through in (a) being organized around and
from-the-perspective of distinct movements & their experiences and (b) being
more analytical and interpretive from a theoretical perspective (democracy).
I have tried to draw students into what the values, visions, and experiences
of the different movements was (and would be for them) like. Bloom & Breines
are excellent helps to that end, though I supplement in a few areas (Beats,
Vietnam war, environment). I also have them read 2-3 autobiographies and
journal them extensively (Malcolm X, Jane Alpert, and maybe now Howard Zinn's
"You Can't be Neutral on a Moving Train"). But I also look at the 60s from a
framework that connects very much with today (looking at post-60s revisionism,
doing exercises with their education, simulating SNCC, etc.). Interesting to
contemplate with an adult ed. class; there MIGHT be more of a personal
connection which could make things even livelier (if they're old enough!).

Ted Morgan

================================
Department of Political Science
Maginnes Hall #9
Lehigh University
Bethlehem, PA 18015

epm2@lehigh.edu
phone: (610) 758-3345
fax: (610) 758-6554
__________________________________

[2]

From: roscoe@halcyon.com (Stu Shiffman and Andi Shechter)
Subject: Re: Vietnam month by month

Rites of Passage: A memoir of the Sixties in Seattle by Walt Crowley has
an annotated timeline that goes from 1960-1972 - it's the best part of the
book (over 100 pages) It covers more than the war, but might be helpful
putting things in perspective.
Andi

[3]