Re: 1968 (multiple responses)

(no name) ((no email))
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 13:34:03 -0500

[1]

For an overview of the Sixties I recommend the Princeton
University Press new book by David Burner entitled, I think, "Making
Peace with the Sixties" or "Facing Up to the Sixties" or something
similar. At any rate it is the only volume on the Sixties that
Burner has published in the last 3 months with Princeton. :)

Gus Seligmann
_________________________

[2]

From: buzzanco@Jetson.UH.EDU (Robert Buzzanco)
Subject: 1968

Per Marc's request: there's a wonderful piece by Immanuel Wallerstein on
"The Revolutions of 1968" in a book that, I think, he edited for Routledge
[?] with a title something like ANTISYSTEMIC MOVEMENTS. Sorry, I can't be
more specific, but if I can find it amid the rubble in my office I'll
provide details.

Bob Buzzanco
U. of Houston
______________________________

[3]

From: plyons@cosi.stockton.edu (Paul Lyons)
Subject: Re: 1968

Marc--you might want to look at Paul Berman's new book, A Tale of Two
Utopias; Stephen Spender's The Year of the Student is worth a read; and if
available Dotson Rader's I Ain't Marchin' Anymore(on Columbia). Paul

________________________

[4]

From: Robert Crowell <rcrowell@HiWAAY.net>

Marc J. Gilbert wrote:

> Dear Folk, My hope is have activities
> where students have the opportunity to create a round table with
> students taking the roles of Castro, Tom Hayden, Ho Chi Minh, and Pat
> Buchanan, and looking at global issues alive at that time with
> resonacne to today, from feminism to ecology to Islamic
> fundamentalism.
>
> Why? This winter I will have some release time to design an
> honors course in modern world history. It is my hope to have the
> entire class conduct research, group activities, and campus
> activities around a single theme: the Year 1968.
> Marc Gilbert
> Professor of History
> North Georgia State University

Good morning,

Please forgive the poor snip job. It seems your idea is good but I can't
help but feel it may be a little narrow in focus. Heck, given the awsome
and explosive events occuring in 1968 mayby it has to be narrow given the
ammount of time you have to do it. But then mayby its my focus thats to
narrow: I spent the first seven months of that year in Vietnam, the I
Corp area.

Just an idea: include some folks from 'the other side'. Mayby Malcome X
or Elridge Cleaver. Nixon, McNamara, some field grunts come to mind. Or
the parents or siblings or lovers of soldiers killed in the conflict? How
about a few anonymous boat people?

You have an incredible task in front of you. Do it well.

Wage peace,
Bob Crowell

_________________________

[5]

From: epm2@lehigh.edu (TED MORGAN)

Re. Marc Gilbert's query about 1968 materials, I'd throw in George
Katsiaficas' "The Imagination of the New Left," (So.End) and also Paul
Berman's new book on "The Two Utopias" (don't have it in front of me, so I'm
not sure about the title, but I just picked it up; there was some discussion
here about it; Berman spins off of 1968 as the seminal points for two, I
guess, aberrant, utopian strains: the New Left and Fukiyama's "End of History."

Sounds like a great course idea, Marc!

Ted Morgan

================================
Department of Political Science
Maginnes Hall #9
Lehigh University
Bethlehem, PA 18015

epm2@lehigh.edu
phone: (610) 758-3345
fax: (610) 758-6554

___________________________

[6]

From: Vanessa Tait <vtait@library.berkeley.edu>

Take a look at "The imagination of the New Left: a global analysis of
1968" by George Katsiaficas (Boston: South End Press, 1987).

Vanessa Tait
Ph.D candidate, Sociology
UC Santa Cruz

__________________________

[7]

From: Jonah Raskin <jonah.raskin@sonoma.edu>

Hello - My new book on Abbie Hoffman - It's called "For the Hell of It - The
Life and Times of Abbie Hoffman ( University of California Press) has a lot
about 1968. You might find it useful. Jonah Raskin

____________________________

[8]

From: Amy Ruth Tobol <atobol@ACSU.Buffalo.EDU>

I think the idea of focusing a course on one year is terrific - maybe
because I've been designing one myself - on the year 1968 - during breaks
from writing my dissertation. One of the books I've been looking at in
addition to the ones you listed is Massacre in Mexico by Elena
Poniatowska. Its an account of the Tlatelolco Massacre in 1968. During
the 1968 Olympic games in Mexico City, 10,000 students were demonstrating
peacefully in a residential area called Tlatelolco re: political freedom
and were gunned down. I found the book to be terrifically powerful - and
I'm thinking about using it particularly because I find students know
little about those countries that border the US. Its in paperback -
published by University of Missouri Press.

Amy Ruth Tobol
Research and Writing Instructor
University at Buffalo
School of Law