Re: Poetry of the Sixties-Neruda; Ferlinghetti

John W. Dean (jdean@cstone.net)
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 10:13:44 -0400

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996,
Ted Morgan reminded us that Lawrence Ferlinghetti wrote of Nixon:

>I salute thee mass murderer by complicity While there is a
>strung-out soul in Santa Rita Prison I am not free While there is a napalmed
>class I am of it I raise my middle finger to you smiling supporter of
>benevolent imperial nationalist built upon political falsehoods which still
>rule [yes still!] Washington DC and which you and every other politician and
>president including Kennedy were too political not to inherit Don't call me
>on your red telephone War is good business Invest your son

Let's also remember that September 11 is the anniversary of the 1973
overthrow of the elected government of Chile, and its President,
Salvador Allende. There is no more sordid event in our national history
than the Nixon/Kissinger sponsored coup that installed Fascism in place
of a long-standing democratic tradition there.

John Dean
Charlottesville, VA USA