RE: youth, morality... (fwd)

sixties@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 20:47:59 -0400

Sender: "Jacques L. Yerby" <jyerby@aloha.com>
Subject: RE: youth, morality...

On Tuesday, July 23, 1996 2:44 PM, EDWARD P. MORGAN[SMTP:epm2@lehigh.edu] wrote:
[BURP!!]

>On the sad tales about cynicism among the young --Ben's, Paula's, Steve's--
>these resonate (as well as Elizabeth's caution about not "preaching" to the
>young about what they "have to do"). As I said earlier, I've had similar
>experiences. But I wonder how much of this is something generational? Have
>things changed --through television, political events, the massive
>advertisement for getting rich, the market, etc.-- or are these young people
>not rather like a lot of young people in the 1950s and 1960s? Or is it partly
>just age (some aspects of Steve's 18-year-old friend's behavior, like choice
>of movies, remind me of my 18-year-old son, though some don't)?
>Ted Morgan

I've been reading the TWA 800 list the last few days. I'm stunned at the ignorance about, cynicism
about; and general mistrust of the U.S. government and anything that it may say.

Back in the late fifties and early sixties only yahoos and Birchers had these ideas. Maybe the
John Birch Society has won the war.

There was an article years ago; perhaps in the CoEvolution Quarterly/Whole Earth Review predicting
a time of Fascism in the U.S. to follow the 'Flower Power' years just as Fascism rose in Germany
after a similar period of left leaning and Eastern spirituality in the 20s. Does anybody remember
this article?

Jacques