Re: Communists WERE 'the good guys' (and women)... (fwd)

sixties@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 10:47:45 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 22:40:06 -0400
From: Dennis N. Randall <randall@pcix.com>
To: sixties@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Subject: Re: Communists WERE 'the good guys' (and women)...

This message was submitted by "Dennis N. Randall" <randall@pcix.com> to lis=
sixties-l@jefferson.village.virginia.edu. If you forward it back to the lis=
t,
it will be distributed without the paragraphs above the dashed line. You ma=
edit the Subject: line and the text of the message before forwarding it bac=
k.

If you edit the messages you receive into a digest, you will need to remove
these paragraphs and the dashed line before mailing the result to the list.
Finally, if you need more information from the author of this message, you
should be able to do so by simply replying to this note.

----------------------- Message requiring your approval -------------------=

---
Sender: "Dennis N. Randall" <randall@pcix.com>

TONYW@siucvmb.siu.edu wrote: >=20 > Grover Furr has posted some very provocative ideas. Certainly, Joseph > Losey in his interview with Michel Chion stated that the old Soviet Union > acted as a potential barrier to the vicious actions of capitalism that ar= e > now world wide. > But the defence of Stalinism in terms of human freedom? How does one > reconcile this with the millions who died in the pourges (far more than > under the Nazis), the perversion of the original Bolshevik ideals, and > the brutal elimination of figures such as Bukharin now "rehabilitated."

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D

You don=92t justify or reconcile the slaughter of Stalinism with the potent= ial "good" benefits of Communism to=20 hold the worst excess of the capitalist systems in check.

To do so would be akin to praising the Nazis for their contribution to rock= et science and over looking the=20 Holocaust. One does not cancel the other.

OTOH - there is a point to be made. This nation (the USA) has made a missio= n of "standing against Communism"=20 to the point we no longer seemed to stand for much of anything else. Like a= drunk leaning against a wall -=20 we=92ve lost much of our balance now that the wall has been removed.

It=92s ironic - but when Communism was alive and well we were prepared to s= pend our treasure and destroy the=20 world. Now that the "Evil Empire" has crumbled =96 we don=92t want to spend= a dime to build a world where war=20 would be unthinkable. Instead, we=92ll sit back =96 not aid our old adversa= ry =96 let a new generation of Reds take=20 power, and then re-join a new arms race.=20

We as a nation need to rediscover our ideals and dreams. We need to re-ligh= t the lamp and again (or for the=20 first time =96 depending on your point of view) become the leaders of a new= world order based upon justice,=20 liberty and equality.

Dennis N. Randall