Re: Anti-Communism in 1960s (multiple responses) (fwd)

sixties@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 12:34:03 -0400

[1]

Sender: "Rebecca Hill" <hillx018@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Subject: Re: Anti-Com in 1960s

Maybe the best way to anti-communism in the 1960s is more indirect?
Bill Chafe on Allard Lowenstein, _Never Stop Running_ might work. I think
Carl Bernstein's memoir _Loyalties_ also hits the 1960s. Stuff on Kennedy,
Cuba, Castro, Vietnam etc. all might apply,
Joel Kovel's _Red Hunting in the Promised Land_ which deals with
anti-communism in general might be useful
Kenneth Reilly's 2 books on J. Edgar Hoover and Black Americans, which
deals with investigations of the civil rights movement in search of "Red
Agitators" etc could also work.
. Are you looking for secondary sources on 60s anti-CP or
"documents?" What about Civil Rights Congress pamphlets, etc. from early
60s? Try HUAC docs in 60s, sometimes they have a lot of fliers and
pamphlets in there as "exhibit a,b" etc

-Rebecca Hill
U. of Minnesota/American Studies

______________
[2]

Sender: mjaffe@mail.sdsu.edu (Maggie Jaffe)
Subject: Re: Anti-communist sources

Dear Sixties People:

Michael Etchison wrote:

> Do you suppose anyone on this list is at all interested in, or is
>aware
>of even the possible existence of, books in which the Communists are
>_not_ the Good Guys? That anti-communism was, on the whole, both correct
>and a good thing?
>
> Just wondered.

A few books come to mind:

*Darkness at Noon* Arthur Koestler.

*Homage to Catalonia* George Orwell.

*Barbarism with a Human Face* Bernard Levy.

*Hope Against Hope* Naheszhda Mandelshtam.

*One Day in Life of Ivan Denisovitch* Alexander Solzhenitsyn.

*A Tomb for Boris Davidovich* Danilo Kis.

*Kolyma Tales* Varlam Shalamov.

*The Joke* Milan Kundera.

*The Totalitarian Temptation* Jean-Francois Revel (He aslo wrote *Without
Marx or Jesus*).

There is no dearth of anti-communist books published in the US, at least
up until 1989.

Maggie
mjaffe@mail.sdsu.edu

_________________

[3]

Sender: epm2@lehigh.edu (EDWARD P. MORGAN)
Subject: Re: Anti-communism

Michael Etchison asks:

> Do you suppose anyone on this list is at all interested in, or is aware
>of even the possible existence of, books in which the Communists are
>_not_ the Good Guys? That anti-communism was, on the whole, both correct
>and a good thing?

Michael, I sense a sarcastic tone here. But I would suggest that
anti-anti-communism is not the same thing as embracing the Soviet Union.
That line of thinking tends to converge with red scare stuff. [In fact, I
remember a book that I paid entirely too much attention to as a 50s
teenager, called "you can trust a communist to be a communist" put out by
the John Birch Society. Fortunately, its impact wasn't lasting.] But,
I'm curious: where are you picking up that the Communists are the "good
guys" anyway?

Ted Morgan