Re: Star Trek and the Sixties

Richard Paleveda (rpaleved@luna.cas.usf.edu)
Sat, 27 Jan 1996 15:48:23 -0500

I started watching "Star Trek" when it first came on NBC in the sixties.
It did not interest me as much as other programs on at that time like
"Lassie." As for books of the sixties, I suggest that you pick up old
editions of "Playboy" if you wish to get the best idea of what the
"Sixties" was about. Their candid interviews and pictures indicate the
social trend that no "National Geographic" publication with its
scientific writers could accurately describe the mood or reflect public
opinion as fast and as accurate as Hugh Heffner's reporters. The sad fact
is that most of the publications of the sixties such as "Look," "Life,"
and "Time," was written in a formal journalistic style that did not
reflect well on the attitude of the time, but reports the incidents. \
I attend the University of South Florida and wish you well on your studies.