Potential dates for Heather MacNeil (UBC) visit

From: Daniel Pitti (dpitti@virginia.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 13:42:23 EST

    All,

    I have invited Heather MacNeil from the School of Library, Archival, and
    Information Studies, University of British Columbia, to visit
    Charlottesville to speak about "authenticity."

    Tentative dates for the visit are May 2-3 or May 16-17.

    PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE A PREFERENCE FOR ONE OR THE OTHER OF THESE
    DATES (OR FOR NEITHER). I want to make sure that a significant number of
    SDS staff will be present, in particular, John, Thorny, Ross, and Worthy,
    as we will want to share our SDS research with her.

    If you would like to know more about Heather:
    http://www.slais.ubc.ca/people/faculty/macneil/macneil.htm

    Her characterization of her research interests:

    "Authenticity is the quality of any document that refers to its integrity
    and the certainty of its purported identity. It follows that authentic
    documents are those whose integrity and identity can be proven. For
    documents created or stored in electronic form, ensuring authenticity means
    protecting their identity and integrity over time and across technologies.

    I am interested in exploring the concept of authenticity and the methods
    for protecting it from a variety of disciplinary perspectives and in
    relation to both administrative and cultural documents. As bureaucracies
    and scholars rely increasingly on electronic information and communication
    technologies to create, reproduce, and store documents, such exploration is
    vital to assess the adequacy of traditional methods and procedures and
    controls for verifying authenticity and to determine the need for, and
    nature of, new methods and procedures."

    Thanks,
    Daniel

    Daniel V. Pitti Project Director
    Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities
    Alderman Library University of Virginia Charlottesville, Virginia 22903
    Phone: 434 924-6594 Fax: 434 982-2363 Email: dpitti@Virginia.edu
    http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu
    AREA CODE IS NEW EFFECTIVE JUNE 2001