Re: SDS Report

From: Melinda Baumann (mjb7q@cms.mail.virginia.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 15:26:20 EST

    Daniel and all,

    This version is really good: what we know is written in a cogent and complete
    manner, and the remaining questions seem on target.

    Relating to discussions of Control and Collecting, Persistence, and Bib
    Control, a library's obligation to collect, describe, and make an object
    available perhaps should depend, in part, on the quality of the object itself.
    We may not have physical control of some part of the object (a link that leads
    to a page we don't maintain); or the metadata may be incomplete or subpar.
    Given that we can't control some aspects of what we receive, should we be
    thinking in terms of levels of obligation based on the level of quality?
    Something like a "high-medium-low-deselect" ranking, in which the highest
    quality objects receive the high priority ranking, and so on. (What depicts
    highest quality and highest priority and so on can be as vague or specific as
    we feel it needs to be for this report.) I'm thinking first of dead links; we
    don't like 'em and don't want 'em in things we "collect". If after a year (or
    other periodic review) an object has a certain number or percentage of dead
    links, our obligation to making it available and/or preserving it intact may
    move from top priority to medium.

    Melinda

    --On Thursday, January 17, 2002 11:31 AM -0500 Daniel Pitti
    <dpitti@virginia.edu> wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > This is not the final version of the section in the Mellon report on the
    > deliberations of the policy committee, but does reflect my revision of text.
    > It includes the questions we have been considering, but I have revised them a
    > bit. I'd like to use the revise list of questions for our next meeting,
    > perhaps jumping to the end of the list to deal with bibliographic
    > description. Jumping to this, because I think we have already covered under
    > identity issues to some extent, and I like to finish it while that discussion
    > is still fresh.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Daniel

    > ----------
    > Daniel V. Pitti Project Director
    > Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities
    > Alderman Library University of Virginia Charlottesville, Virginia
    > 22903 Phone: 434 924-6594 Fax: 434 982-2363 Email:
    > dpitti@Virginia.edu http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu
    > AREA CODE IS NEW EFFECTIVE JUNE 2001

    Melinda Baumann
    Head, Digital Library Production Services
    University of Virginia Library
    PO Box 400155
    Charlottesville VA 22904-4155
    baumann@virginia.edu (434) 243-8785