Re: Creative Hypertext (fwd)

John M. Unsworth (jmu2m@virginia.edu)
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 17:12:45 -0500 (EST)

I forwarded to Stuart Moulthrop Mr. Mulholland's mail from our class
discussion list, concerning Victory Garden. Here's his response.

John Unsworth

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 16:22:33 +0100
From: Stuart Moulthrop <SAMoulthrop@ubmail.ubalt.edu>
To: "John M. Unsworth" <jmu2m@virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: Creative Hypertext (fwd)

Thanks for sending me the Mulholland response. Very sharp, especially the
perception about the user interface being part of the text, which I first
learned from John McDaid but it bears repeating. He's also got something
there about the delay in server response being part of the link experience:
and I'd like to see what else he's thinking along those lines. Apparently
Jim Rosenberg has written a very brilliant paper for the Hypertext
conference about the "content" of links, though I haven't managed to find a
copy yet.

Concerning the "modernity" of things like VG and afternoon and Quibbling, I
have to agree with Mulholland (and Espen Aarseth) -- it if looks like a
novel and has pages like a novel, it's probably by somebody called Joyce.

Anyway, thanks for sending the message.

Stuart