Re: Attn: John Unsworth

John Unsworth (jmu2m@virginia.edu)
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 23:17:32 -0500

At 11:39 AM 11/12/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Professor Unsworth,
> I am confused by the "reading" I am supposed to present
>this week. Can you perhaps give me some intuition as how to go
>about reading this site? It seems very disjointed, and I have
>trouble with the text/illustration mix.

Andrew,

I'd check with the library (Rick Provine, Clemons) and see if they have (by
any chance) a copy of the movie version of "Wax: or, the discovery of
television among the bees." Since this is a film that has been translated
to hypermedia, the comparison would be of interest. Failing that, I would
still try to look at it in that light, and assess the design decisions that
were made, and the success or failures you perceive, in that translation.
Also, if possible, I'd try to get a look at it on a machine with VRML
capabilities: you could come by the Institute and use our PC, or find a
machine elsewhere that has VRML plug-ins. The "optoplasmic void" is the
VRML wing of the project, and it's worth exploring ...

John Unsworth / Director, IATH / Dept. of English
http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/~jmu2m/