Web project with Cville city schools.

John Unsworth (jmu2m@virginia.edu)
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 09:02:06 -0400 (EDT)

The following is from Harley Miles, the Web Master for C'ville City public
schools. I have also had positive expressions of interest from the
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, the Women's Center, and the "To
Kill a Mockingbird" project in the Prince William County public
schools--and, at second-hand, from the C'ville Social Services/Community
Attention (I've called and left a message there). Not yet contacted: Live
Arts and City Transit, but since we already have five and probably only
need four, let me get a preliminary sense from you all, at this point, of
which projects among the five contacted and interested would interest you.
Please respond ASAP, so we can sort this out and get started.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 19:55:32 +0100
From: Harley Miles <hmiles@141.104.22.202>
To: John Unsworth <jmu2m@virginia.edu>
Cc: mek2v@virginia.edu
Subject: Re: Web design

John,

This sounds like an interesting proposition in light of a project that
Megan Murray (Charlottesville's Coordinator of Mathematics) and I are
working on. We have a small grant from the Virginia Power Partnership which
will enable a team of Grade 3-6 teachers to create lesson plans, materials,
approaches, and ideas for addressing the newly adopted Virginia Standards
of Learning (SOL's) for Mathematics...with the ultimate goal of making this
information available to all teachers in Virginia via the Web. At present
we have no preconceived ideas for the format and structure of the final
product...but we hope to have a model of process and access which can be
adapted to provide materials which address SOL's in each core curriculuar
area.

Megan and I have not proceeded far with the Web page structure because the
team has yet to meet; we both feel that it is important for the site to
evolve from a classroom teacher perspective on what is or is not useful.
(The team's first meeting is September 26, 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm. At that
meeting we will be discussing what are or are not useful materials and
begin to grasp what they feel our site should include.)

We do have a temporary page:

http://pen.k12.va.us/Anthology/Div/Charlottesville/SOLAR/SOLAR.HTML

which offers more information about the project. The link to this page is
not being publicized because there is nothing of substance there yet...we
are not thinking of advertising its existence until sometime second
semester.

This would be an opportunity for your students to "start" from scratch,
address a need, work on a project that is locally developed but which will
have state and possible national impact.

I don't know if this particular project meets your needs, but I (and
Megan) would be willing to discuss it with you. (If this one doesn't hit
the mark, there may be a few others that might.)

Thanks for the offer!!!!!

Harley