dhcs: modelling

From: Andrea K. Laue (akl3s@cms.mail.virginia.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 08:36:14 EDT

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 15:10:59 -0400 (EDT)
    To: dhcs-l@lists.village.virginia.edu
    From: Geoffrey Rockwell <grockwel@mcmaster.ca>
    Subject: Modelling

    Dear all,

    While in Toronto I heard Willard McCarty give a keynote talk on
    "Knowing things by what their mockeries be: Modelling in the
    humanities" which I recommend to you as an alternative to "knowledge
    representation" as a way of describing what we do. The paper is at:

    http://ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/essays/knowing/

    In it Willard, for the first time to my knowledge, sets out his ideas
    about modelling as paradigm for research in humanities computing.
    Modeling, if I understood his talk, has the following advantages over
    KR:

    1. Modelling, as he develops it, comes from the philosophy of science
    not from logic and therefore more closely approximates what
    scientists really do rather than coming from a positivist tradition
    which can confuse what they do with what they ought to do.

    2. Modelling is far more humble about the outcomes of its practice.
    Willard, unlike Sowa, is clear about the importance of failure. For
    Willard, where a model fails to fit is as important as where it
    succeeds. Positivists are tempted to say that where logical
    description fails there is problem not with the system but with the
    phenomenon and accuse those who are interested in the leaky failures
    of mysticism.

    It would be interesting as a way of returning to knowledge
    representation to compare modelling and KR as practices and theories
    of practice for the digital humanities.

    Geoffrey R.