Readings for the DHCS Seminar

From: Stephen Ramsay (sjr3a@virginia.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 14:58:53 EST

    Fellow DHCS members,

    The next meeting of the Digital Humanities Curriculum Seminar will
    feature a discussion of Natural Language Processing.

    Among the most influential books in the field of NLP are these three:

    Allen, James. *Natural Language Understanding*. Redwood City, CA:
    Benjamin/Cummings, 1995.

    Jurafsky, Daniel and James H. Martin. *Speech and Language
    Processing: An Introduction to Natural Language Processing,
    Computational Linguistics, and Speech Recognition*. Upper Saddle
    River, NJ: Prentice, 2000.

    Manning, Christopher D. and Hinrich Schutze. *Foundations of
    Statistical Natural Language Processing*. Cambridge: MIT P, 2001.

    I have selected two chapters for our meeting: the
    introductions from Manning and Schutze and Jurafsky and Martin.
    There is some redundancy between the two, but they raise all the
    issues I'll be proposing for discussion. We've been talking about the
    ways in which different forms of computerized knowledge
    representation place us (and our students) into an engaging critical
    position with that knowledge. I'd like to talk about the ways NLP
    puts us in that relationship with language itself.

    The readings are in PDF on the toolkit site:

    http://toolkit.virginia.edu/cgi-local/tk/UVa_UNKN_2002_Spring_UNKN16-1/displaymaterials

    under jurafsky and manning. (Please note that the first one is
    jurafsky, not jarrausch).

    I look forward to seeing you all at the meeting next Wednesday.

    Your Co-Undersecretary for Coordination,

    Steve

    --
    Stephen Ramsay
    Senior Programmer