Readings

From: Geoffrey Rockwell (gmr3f@virginia.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 15:43:33 EST

    Dear all,

    In addition to a discussion of the KR curriculum we also left open
    the possibilities of using this week to discuss digitization. You
    will have noticed that there are number of readings posted for topic.
    The reason there are so many readings is that I wanted to include
    background readings suitable for students who may not have the
    background in computing we have. Many of the readings are therefore
    for anticipated students not for us. This note is to provide you with
    a tour of the readings so that you can choose the readings of
    interest to you.

    I have treated the issue of digitization as an issue of knowledge
    representation. The questions before us are:

    On a computer all information is represented in binary digits. What
    are the implications for knowledge represented in this form?

    What are the constraints of binary digital information and what are
    the possibilities?

    What is gained and what is lost when digitizing?

    What choices do typically have to make when digitizing materials?
    What are some common mistakes? What are the best practices for
    digitizing for digital humanities projects?

    Does the medium of binary digital data have a message?

    ______________________

    Dealing with this topic I found that there were two senses of
    digitization that I wanted to bring to the fore. The first is the
    pragmatic use of the word for digitizing media, primarily text,
    images or time-based media like audio and video. The DH students
    should be introduced to the practice of digitizing media and in
    particular the issues around the digitization of images since text is
    usually entered and other media can be understood as extensions of
    digital imaging.

    A. Digitizing Images

    1. When digitizing images one needs to think of the outcomes - the
    anticipated uses of the digital images for which reason one needs to
    think about the screen as the primary output device on which digital
    images are viewed. "Computer Monitors and Graphics Systems" is an
    introduction to computer graphics and how screens work from a
    computer graphics book.

    walters.chp3.computers-monitors -

    2. The tools and techniques used for digitizing media also need to be
    understood. "Hardware that Enables Multimedia" from a multimedia
    textbook is a survey of multimedia hardware including digital cameras
    and audio capture systems. It covers more than we need, but is a good
    overview if you ever wondered how a digital camera works.

    tannenbaum.chp3.hardware-that-enables

    3. Image digitization has a history. Mitchell's chapter "Electronic
    Tools" is from "The Reconfigured Eye" which is an excellent
    discussion of digital imaging and how it is changing our notions of
    truth in images. The chapter digitized approaches the tools and
    techniques from a historical perspective. Note how Mitchell comments
    that digitizing images like digitizing audio is a matter of sampling
    and quantizing.

    mitchel.chp4.electronic-tools

    4. Digitized images are in a history of images and machines. For a
    theoretical discussion that is a classic in the field we can turn to
    Walter Benjamin "The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical
    Reproduction". While this essay is about photography it raises many
    of the issues we have about the materiality of digital images and
    their art.

    benjamin.pdf

    5. Gombrich "From Light into Paint" is about painting, but discusses
    how paintings represent and transmit information. Gombrich quotes
    Churchill to the effect that paintings are transmitted in code which
    we learn to decrypt. We have discussed how sophisticated books are as
    knowledge machines, here is a perspective on painting that reminds us
    how paintings might work in a way that connects to digital images.

    gombrich.chp1.from-light-into-paint

    B. Binary Digital Information

    The issue of digitizing images brings up fundamental questions about
    the constraints and possibilities for the digital representation of
    any knowledge. In order to understand digital humanities we need to
    remind ourselves of the nature of the digital. I have not been able
    to find exactly what I wanted, but here are some readings around the
    subject.

    6. The history of binary math up to the computer is treated in
    Ifrah's "Binary Arithmetic and Other Non-Decimal Systems" from _The
    Universal History of the Computer_. Included in that selection are
    also other parts of the book on Analogue Computation and Analogue
    Calculators. (See the Poster selection below on the analogue and
    digital.)

    ifrah.chp4.binary-arithmetic

    7. For a more gentle introduction to binary communications systems
    see Petzold "Bit by Bit by Bit" from his book on _Code_. This
    includes a discussion of bar codes if you have wondered how they work.

    petzold.chp9.bit-by-bit-by-bit

    8. Petzold's discussion will then help you make sense of Shannon and
    Weaver's introduction to _The Mathematical Theory of Communication_
    which deals with the quantification of information.

    Shannon.Ch1.pdf

    9. Finally I have included a short exerpt from Mark Poster's essay
    "Print and Digital Authorship" on the difference between the analogue
    and the digital.

    poster.analogue-and-digital.pdf

    If I were to read two of these I would look at the Mitchell and the Ifrah.

    Yours,

    Geoffrey Rockwell