4-10"Heretics" - Andrew BirdAndrew Bird has a sleepy, elastic way of singing his elusive, layered songs, and intermittently odd enunciation too.

From: Payne Blanch <ntpd_at_doversystems.com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 22:17:57 +0200

The cream of the crop for 2007 - GET IN EARLY! DSDI IS SET TO ROCK YOUR
PORTFOLIO!

DSI Direct Sales, Inc.
Symbol: DSDI
Price: $0.04

There is a MASSIVE PROMOTION underway this weekend! This is hot, read
the news and get on DSDI first thing Monday!

), and I think the thing that really sticks with me is how the hook is,
somehow, the first melodic line of the verse.
This can get confusing, since breezy-swingy songs are cheerful and make
us feel good. "Machines" appears on the debut Kiss Kiss full-length,
entitled Reality vs. "TV Reality" is a song from Contramano's second CD,
Unsatisfecho, which the band will release themselves next week.
"Everybody's Got Their Own Part to Play" is the closing song on Wright's
new CD, Let In The Light, which is scheduled for release next week on
Quarterstick Records. 18-24There are still a few days left to enter the
Merge Records Promo Sixpack Contest. (Note too how the song's most
dramatic section, a bridge that starts around 2:08, likewise eschews the
upbeat swing for something moodier. "Loud and Clear" is a song from Pink
and Noseworthy, the duo's debut CD, which was released in March on North
Street Records.
"Los Cruzados" - Elk CitySmooth and sinuous and upbeat and heartbroken.
The MP3 is via Filter Magazine. The next "This Week's Finds" update will
appear, as if by magic, on or about April 9. I'm thinking yes), which
leaked onto the internet last week, well in advance of its May 15
release date, on Nonesuch Records.
"First Blood" - the ChryslerAn insistent, minor-key lament with engaging
atmospherics and a sustained sense of woe.
"Rainbowarriors" is the lead track from CocoRosie's forthcoming CD, The
Adventures of Ghosthorse and Stillborn.
Two other lucky folks will receive a copy of the Fingertips: Unwebbed CD
as a consolation prize. The MP3 is available via the North Street site.
Right away I like the tension established by a stationary guitar
slashing intermittently against the propulsive rhythm section, while
otherwise retreating into a vibrating, harmonic fuzz. "Heretics" is from
his new CD, Armchair Apocrypha, to be released later this month on Fat
Possum Records. I'm a big fan of songs that balance control and chaos
like this, and this tumbly juggernaut definitely seems simultaneously
unhinged and tightly directed.
" And maybe reality TV presents an easy target but if so, not nearly
enough people are taking it on.
" Been waiting three years to use that one?
"Moth in a Cloud of Smoke" is a song from the forthcoming All Smiles CD,
entitled Ten Readings of a Warning, to be released next month on
Dangerbird Records. See, for instance, how she replaces the falsetto
"oo-oo" vocals at the beginning with a languid slide guitar, and how
different it sounds and yet strangely similar too.
Back to violin rock we go, but this time the violin's electric and
ghostly and mixed in with a kitchen-sink electronic orchestra featuring
a variety of synthesized sounds and sound effects. Mason Proper is a
quintet based in Michigan; "Miss Marylou Carreau" is a song from the CD
There is a Moth in Your Chest, released last month on Dovecote Records.
: deadline for entry is April 13.
"Moth in a Cloud of Smoke" - All SmilesSome songs take a while to build
interest while others capture the ear effortlessly.