materialist

From: Denis Odell <bibqx_at_trop-eco.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 08:15:24 +0200

Spreadsheets can handle formulas, but they choked on the electronic form sheet like everyone else.
But it does allow you to sync your calendar, contacts, and notes or tasks.
When I timidly asked my partner for an even more advanced spreadsheet, he threw another stapler at me and then sent over an electronic form done entirely within Excel.
Using Zoho, resizing a cell or moving a column was definitely closer to desktop snappy. Tried it in Writely just for fun with a similar result. The LifeKeeper GUI can administer all LifeKeeper clusters in an enterprise via a straightforward interface.
Right off the bat, though, Rallypoint and Writeboard are out. Unless you already have an investment in other Neverfail clustering technologies, LifeKeeper is a better deal. You can track every change to some accounts, while keeping only the latest copy of other mailboxes, but only by spreading the accounts across separate stores. If Outlook has it, I want it in my Web client.
Users connecting via MAPI or the Outlook Web Access client may need to restart the client to connect to the backup server. You will need to create service accounts, as with the other solutions, but the documentation steps you through the process. Hotmail is practically the same as Yahoo, save for the syncing. You can track every change to some accounts, while keeping only the latest copy of other mailboxes, but only by spreading the accounts across separate stores. Setting up LifeKeeper is straightforward.
The iRows toolbar and menu system had no support for creating formulas.
Finally, you will need a second mailbox store, which may either be on the same Exchange server as the primary or on a second Exchange server. Your preferences may vary.
Last bit of bad news: They want money. If you have a lot of users with fat inboxes, you might want to start replication over a weekend. This can be done on an individual basis or for all users on a given Exchange server. Neverfail Group offers a variety of application modules other than Exchange, including IBM Lotus Domino, Microsoft File Server, Oracle Database, SharePoint, and SQL Server. Two solutions, Neverfail for Exchange and SteelEye LifeKeeper, bring true fail-over to an entire Exchange server.
You can track every change to some accounts, while keeping only the latest copy of other mailboxes, but only by spreading the accounts across separate stores. Only one gateway is needed at each end, and one Recovery server can support multiple Source servers.
That was no trouble because the office had guest Internet access and a steady Wi-Fi connection.
Hotmail is practically the same as Yahoo, save for the syncing. Man, nothing makes your blood pressure go up quicker than trying to do work on the Web while on a public Wi-Fi connection that drops you more often than a Hollywood wife.
You will need to create service accounts, as with the other solutions, but the documentation steps you through the process.

plankton.gif