(no subject)

From: owner-dea-l@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 15:55:44 CUT

    Sender: owner-dea-l@localhost

    >On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 16:11:20 GMT,
    >owner-dea-l@lists.village.virginia.edu wrote:
    >
    >>Emily did write in May of 1848, to Abiah Root, "Father has
    >>decided not to send me to Holyoke another year". I wonder if that was
    >>standard procedure? Did the fathers frequently make such decisions during
    >>the mid 1800's and how rare was it that a girl would stay for only a
    >>year?
    >
    >Debbie and others,
    >
    >I wonder how much of ED's nonreturn to Holyoke had to do with her
    >father and how much with herself. Her letters don't seem to me
    >to show her as that unhappy there.
    >
    >Does anyone know how long Lavinia was away at school? Did she go
    >the very next year? Perhaps their father did not want to do
    >without both girls at once.
    >
    >Nancy Pridgen

    Dr. Marcy Tanter
    Department of English and Languages
    Box T-0300
    Tarleton State University
    Stephenville, TX 76401
    phone/voicemail: 254 968-9892

    "He has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating it's [sic]
    most sacred rights of life and liberty in the persons of a distant people
    who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another
    hemisphere, or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither.
    This piratical warfare, the opprobium of INFIDEL powers, is the warfare of
    the CHRISTIAN king of Great Britain. Determined to keep open a market
    where MEN should be bought & sold, he has prostituted his negative for
    suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or to restrain this
    execrable commerce."

    --Thomas Jefferson, rough draft of The Declaration of Independence, 1776