Re: "Member" Test...

From: Martha Nell Smith (Martha_Nell_Smith@umail.umd.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 16:48:54 CUT

    dear connie & other subscribers--first of all, Welcome! i am delighted
    that you have chosen to participate in this listserv and want to welcome
    you and let you each and all know how much i appreciate your taking the
    time to work with us, think with us, advise us.

    the Excite search engine will, i suspect, always have some of the
    problems that Connie is experiencing (i.e., returning a great number of
    hits relevant and irrelevant to your search). this is one of the
    reasons we are marking the DEA up in SGML (which will enable much more
    precise searches than HTML). her question is fabulous, and i think
    sharing better & worse search strategies is a great idea.

    i'm also curious how y'all like the new designs we've begun to implement
    (they can be found in Writings by Susan Dickinson, and in the Emily
    Dickinson "samplers," as well as in Titanic Operas).

    welcome aboard, and i'm looking forward to many conversations with you.
    my best & warmest to each & all,
    mn

    Connie Kirk wrote:

    > Dear DEArchivers,
    >
    > Ok. I'm game to try something new! Here goes...
    >
    > It's "good sleighing" in upstate NY today. A good day/evening
    > to browse the archives. I'm interested in hearing how some
    > of you are making out with using the Excite search engine.
    > Are you finding things you are looking for? I seem to be having
    > some trouble sifting through what comes up from
    > a search. I'm wondering how others are making out
    > in narrowing their searches.
    >
    > I'm a firm believer in the value of the DEA and am happy to
    > have this resource available.
    >
    > Do you read me?
    >
    > Connie Kirk
    > (who will more properly introduce herself later,
    > once things start going through ok).

    --------------6D924EEB79356ECFB23BA974

    begin:vcard
    n:Smith;Martha Nell
    tel;fax:301-405-7111
    tel;work:301-405-8878
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    url:http://www.mith.umd.edu
    org:MITH, the Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities
    version:2.1
    email;internet:ms63@umail.umd.edu
    title:Director
    adr;quoted-printable:;;2M100E McKeldin Library=0D=0AUniversity of
    Maryland;College Park;MD ;20742;
    fn:Martha Nell Smith
    end:vcard

    --------------6D924EEB79356ECFB23BA974--