Re: [adhoc] every beginning...

From: Julia Flanders <Julia_Flanders_at_Brown.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:58:11 -0400

While I agree that tying the conference name to that of the umbrella
is desirable, I think the name HCA poses some significant problems:
not least the fact that the term "humanities computing" is becoming a
more and more limited term which only hails a subset of the community
we'd like to embrace here. The phrase "digital humanities" has the
merit of having no long-standing historical associations.

In addition, to start the entire process of name consideration again
(with the implication of going back to our executives for another
round of discussion and voting) simply because we've had one more
suggestion seems unreasonable. Why should we expect that HCA will
magically appeal to everyone? it does not have any particular
distinction that ADHO and ICHIO lack--it's just another alternative.