Re: synergies

From: Espen Ore (Espen.Ore@nb.no)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 02:42:36 EDT

    01:45 13.09.2002 +0200 skrev Elisabeth Burr:
    >Julia's and Geoffrey's mails: I am too tired tonight to think more (here it is as more or less every night
    >about 2 o' clock) thus I allow myself to come back tomorrow night. The discussion starts to become
    >interesting, though.

    I have been at the DRH in Edinburgh last week and haven't really had the time to read through the postings from Elisabeth, John, Julia and Geoffrey. Here are just some quick thoughts:

    - I find the idea of an umbrella structure which allows for a certain difference in scope and structure between the local organisations.

    - Language (and culture in general) is important! Some kind of translation services of abstracts (and possibly full papers) from local conferences and into a pool of translated material might be something organized on a top level with collaboration from local organisations supplying some of the translation work and original texts. Even just in Europe today there is work beeing done in German and in Romace languages which very few whose native of main foreign language is English know. And it is probably the same in reverse.

    - One small example of what I understand John to mean when he talks about bootstrapping regional chapters is the workshop program started by the ALLC - this has not moved forwards as quickly as we may have wished, but there are new proposals which may resuylt in more ond oftener workshops in the future. This general kind of thing combined with collaboration with already existing groups and organisations might eb considered on a central level. (But I hope you find the time, John, to produce a table or whatever of existing collaboration which you offered.)

    Espen