21.461 cognitive science like alchemy

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard_at_mccarty.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:54:45 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 13:56:56 +0000
         From: "Hunsucker, R.L." <R.L.Hunsucker_at_uva.nl>
         Subject: RE: 21.433 cognitive science like alchemy

> Comments?
>
> Yours,
> WM

Since _Humanist_ was in a sort of hibernation over the holidays
( out of which it still has to come ? ), I'll go ahead now and
comment, on the posting below, that the points you are making
are to my mind excellent and very much on-track, and,
furthermore, ones we should also *pragmatically* take very
much to heart. ( But how do we, at least collectively, go about
that ? -- *that's* always been the hard part. )

What you are in fact advocating is a "histoire du pr=E9sent" as
conceived by Foucault (very much like what he also described
as a "g=E9n=E9alogie").

Indeed maybe Rorty's "conversation" is a help in getting such
a process started.

But in the meantime, perhaps thinking in terms of consciously and
fully exploiting what Star and Griesemer dubbed "boundary objects"
would already amount to a significant improvement.

Getting *that* act together is going to be hard enough, but still a
piece of cake, in my opinion, when compared to a really effective,
collectively legitimated "histoire du pr=E9sent" (which may ultimately be
a human impossibility -- but that *doesn't* mean we shouldn't be
constantly mindful that we don't yet have one, and act accordingly).

The above shouldn't be taken to apply specifically (or necessarily)
to cross-disciplinary affairs where one of those disciplines is
humanities computing -- since I'm, as I indicated in an earlier
contribution, not convinced just what a proper disciplinary place
for humanities computing ought to look like.

- Laval Hunsucker
    U. Amsterdam, Universiteitsbibliotheek