21.384 merely engineering

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 09:21:06 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: amsler_at_cs.utexas.edu (59)
         Subject: Re: 21.374 merely engineering?

   [2] From: maurizio lana <m.lana_at_katamail.com> (35)
         Subject: Re: 21.382 merely engineering

         Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 09:03:09 +0000
         From: amsler_at_cs.utexas.edu

I have a different take on this quote. It isn't as disparaging as you seem to
imply. The contrast is between "undiscovered scientific principles" and
"execution of known techniques". If, for example, we are faced with closing a
hole in the Ozone layer, or having a spacecraft survive a landing on Venus to
radio back information from the surface, or finding a means to neutralize
radioactivity, (or from the past, seeing aircraft in the night sky far away
from land (i.e., radar), then the first task it to understand enough of how the
universe works to have a plausible theory of what can be done to perform such a
task. Once a "theory" exists, then it is "merely a matter of engineering" to
build and test a device to perform the task.

Now, admittedly, we have had remarkable inventions (e.g., electric light) that
resulted JUST from engineering methods. Edison had next to no "theory" of what
he needed in a filament for electric light bulbs. He tested everything he could
think of. This was a breakthrough by "merely engineering". So, I
guess one could say theorists disparage such an approach unreasonably
because there is no way toprove a theoretical insight couldn't reach a
satisfactory solution.

I guess it comes down to a belief in the existence of theoretical knowledge as
adequate to find an answer. Perhaps this is what plagues "String Theory" in
Physics. There is so much theoretical knowledge that practitioners cannot
believe that they can't reach a theoretical solution--and persist even when
there is almost no testable experimentation that can be used to validate one
theory vs. another. The physicists believe in a sense of beauty to the universe
that will become apparent when the right theory is proposed. I.e.,
the math will not be ugly if the theory represents truth. Engineers, however,
tend not to believe so strongly in truth forcing beautiful solutions.