21.301 education, education, education

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 07:13:32 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 06:36:05 +0100
         From: "Prof. Roland Sussex" <sussex_at_uq.edu.au>
         Subject: Re: 21.295 education, education, education

Dean Inge (of St Paul's, London) once commented: Literature flourishes best
when it is half a trade and half an art. I often wonder whether he had
dickens in mind.
Roly Sussex
The University of Queensland

On 13/10/07 4:51 PM, "Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty
<willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>)" <willard_at_LISTS.VILLAGE.VIRGINIA.EDU> wrote:

> Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 21, No. 295.
> Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London
> www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
> www.princeton.edu/humanist/
> Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu
>

> Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 07:34:33 +0100
> From: amsler_at_cs.utexas.edu
> >
> There are many fields in which the inescapable conclusion is that it
> is both a business AND a professional/artistic endeavor. Film Making
> is often cited as such; as is Making Dictionaries and the classic
> discipline would be Medicine. I don't think one can run down the
> business model since it brings capital in to allow the
> professional/artistic endeavor to reach beyond its innate limits when
> all decisions are made on the basis of what's best for the craft
> without regard to income.
>
> I guess my concept is that it is in charting a course along the
> boundary between profitable and enlightening that the skill of the
> administrators comes into play. If they are corrupt, then of course
> the result is damaged from the beginning, but shunning all funding
> sources isn't the answer either. Balancing how much good will come
> out of the funding source is the challenge.

____________

Roland Sussex
Professor of Applied Language Studies, and
Editor, "Australian Review of Applied Linguistics"
School of Languages and Comparative Cultural Studies
The University of Queensland
Brisbane
Queensland 4072
AUSTRALIA

University's CRICOS provider number: 00025B

Office: Greenwood 434 (Building 32)
Phone: +61 7 3365 6896
Fax: +61 7 3365 6799
Email: sussex_at_uq.edu.au