21.294 Autonomy Singularity Creativity (ASC) conference

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:40:50 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:36:27 +0100
         From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
         Subject: Autonomy Singularity Creativity (ASC) conference

[Allow me strongly to recommend this conference. I participated last
year and found it to be one of the most intellectually stimulating
events I have had the privilege to attend. I will be there again this
November! --WM]

From: Phillip Barron <pbarron_at_nationalhumanitiescenter.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:27:16 -0400

Registration for the National Humanities Center's November Autonomy
Singularity Creativity (ASC) conference is now available online.

The ASC conference, which takes place from November 8-10, includes
some of the most respected and thought-provoking voices from across
the academic spectrum. After its successful inaugural conference in
2006, the Center has expanded the conference to three days of
stimulating events that will allow participants to exchange ideas and
discuss issues surrounding how developments in science are
challenging traditional notions of "the human."

Speakers include scholars from a wide range of disciplines, including
neuroscience, linguistics, primatology, anthropology, computer
science, philosophy, and literary studies. Particular areas of focus
for this year's conference will include panels on animal empathy and
creativity in computers and non-human species, as well as talks about
the considerations and implications for law, policy, the academy, and society.

The conference is open to the public. A registration fee of $30
provides admission to all sessions along with meals during Friday and
Saturday's events.

See <http://asc.nhc.rtp.nc.us>http://asc.nhc.rtp.nc.us/ for a
schedule of conference activities, including tentative session topics
and speakers, as well as registration materials.

About ASC --
Autonomy, Singularity, Creativity is a project of the National
Humanities Center.

In September of 2006, the Center launched a three year study of ways
that advances in science are changing the limits of human life and
therefore disturbing traditional understandings of what it means to
be human. The initiative gathers scientists and humanists together in
dialogue on these issues. By convening a small group of scholars to
focus on the concepts autonomy, singularity, and creativity --
concepts historically deployed to earmark the boundaries of the human
experience -- we are furthering the development of new knowledge and
generating new understandings of human life.

phillip

--
Phillip Barron
<mailto:pbarron_at_nhc.rtp.nc.us>pbarron_at_nhc.rtp.nc.us