21.224 Terry Butler

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:25:01 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:14:27 +0100
         From: Stefan Sinclair <sgsinclair_at_gmail.com>
         Subject: Terry Butler

Dear colleagues,

It's with great sadness that I write with news of
the passing of Terry Butler, from the University
of Alberta. Through the years he has been a
valuable and enthusiastic member of the
humanities computing community at his home institution, in Canada, and beyond.

Terry has led and participated in several
important research projects in humanities
computing, including TAPoR (for which he was
Executive Manager at the UofA), the Coleridge
Notebooks Project, and the Orlando Project. He
also had a strong interest in education and
technologies – he developed several software
applications himself and, more recently, led the
TechEdge Project that is studying the IT
competencies of liberal arts graduates. Terry was
instrumental in the design and development of the
M.A. in Humanities Computing at the University of Alberta.

Terry was a tireless force in promoting a better
understanding of the potential of computing in
the humanities and social sciences. He founded
the Technology for Learning Centre at the
University of Alberta, and was an invaluable
resource to many colleagues there. One of Terry's
most striking qualities was his ability to be
effective both as administrative staff and as a
researcher – he had a knack for putting in place
the structures that facilitated collaborative
scholarship and teaching with computers.

Speaking more personally, Terry was always a
supportive and generous friend and colleague who
played an essential mentoring role for me as a
new faculty member when I was at the University
of Alberta. I learned a great deal from his
organizational competencies, I benefitted from
his experience and knowledge in humanities
computing, and I enjoyed his company and our
discussions on a broad range of topics.

Thanks for everything you did Terry – you will be
greatly missed. My thoughts and sympathies are with your family.

Stéfan

--
Dr. Stéfan Sinclair, Multimedia, McMaster University
Phone: 905.525.9140 x23930; Fax: 905.527.6793