21.207 Literature Factory Announcement

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 06:30:49 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 06:23:13 +0100
         From: Jeremy Hunsinger <jhuns_at_vt.edu>
         Subject: Fwd: Literature Factory Announcement to forward

Forwarded with permission:) Please distribute as appropriate. -jh

>You are invited to the grand opening of the Literature Factory at
>Kula 2 (187,7) in Second Life. What is a Literature Factory? Well
>now, that's a silly question, it's simply a factory that makes
>literature. According to Wikipedia:
>
> "The term "literature" has different meanings depending on who
>is using it and in what context. It could be applied broadly to
>mean any symbolic record, encompassing everything from images and
>sculptures to letters. In a more narrow sense the term could mean
>only text composed of letters, or other examples of symbolic
>written language (Egyptian hieroglyphs, for example). An even more
>narrow interpretation is that text have a physical form, such as on
>paper or some other portable form, to the exclusion of inscriptions
>or digital media."
>
>Well, we certainly meet that criteria, excepting the physical form
>bit, but we hope you'll appreciate the transgression.
>
>Now, we have things to do and people to see, so we went ahead and
>automated the factory. The Word-o-Mats runs tirelessly day and
>night, manufacturing words for the factory, the Bin Bots with them
>take charge of ferrying the words from the Word-o-Mats to the
>sorted bins on the other side of the factory. From there other
>bots build sentences and transfer them into the new works of
>literature under constant production.
>
>We're celebrating our grand opening Saturday with an open house
>from 4pm to 6pm SLT so drop in to the Literature Factory at Kula 2
>(189,9,25).

jeremy hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(www.cipr.uwm.edu)

wiki.tmttlt.com
www.tmttlt.com

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments
http://www.stswiki.org/ sts wiki
http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/ Learning Inquiry-the journal
http://transdisciplinarystudies.tmttlt.com/ Transdisciplinary