21.185 prediction and explanation

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:30:14 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: "Hunsucker, R.L." <R.L.Hunsucker_at_uva.nl> (24)
         Subject: RE: 21.182 prediction and explanation

   [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk> (22)
         Subject: prediction and explanation

         Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:08:35 +0100
         From: "Hunsucker, R.L." <R.L.Hunsucker_at_uva.nl>

>Comments?
>
>Yours,
>WM

Willard,

This is a very tricky area, certainly for a non-philosopher-of-science
like me.

I enjoyed Suzana's interesting reaction, and really dare not put
forward any comments of my own.

Still -- it occurred to me that if one's really interested in exploring
the whole matter further, one would do well to have look at all
the (in my opinion sensible) stuff Mary Hesse has written, since
the sixties, on explanation and prediction. A good start might be
her _Revolutions and reconstructions in the philosophy of science_,
a collection published in 1980.

Just a friendly suggestion. I'm sure that others better enlightened
than myself can offer more targeted ones.

Regarding sociology and economics, one could have a look at the
recent (and fairly technical) :

Michael Hechter, Hyojoung Kim and Justin Baer, "Prediction versus
explanation in the measurement of values", _European sociological
review_ 21.2 (2005), p.91-108.

- Laval Hunsucker
    UvAmsterdam, Universiteitsbibliotheek / Geesteswetenschappen