21.170 lessons from physics and biology

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:10:56 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: lachance_at_chass.utoronto.ca (21)
         Subject: lessons from physics and biology?

   [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk> (38)

         Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 06:24:43 +0100
         From: lachance_at_chass.utoronto.ca

Willard,

Given the recent attention to the relation between physics and biology and
the possible analogous situation of humanities computing, you may perhaps
be interested in noting that during the 1950s, French biologist Boris
Rybak explored similar territory. In a number of reviews he made the point
that research is a psycho-manual affair, i.e. it involves both brain and
hand.

<quote>
La recherche scientifique est une mobilisation psycho-manuelle constante
du chercheur; dans ces conditions les notions meme de pratique et de
theorique deviennent de moins en moins tranchees.
</quote>

He is quite eloquent on the place of the hands on nature of our
involvement in the production of knowledge:

<quote>
Cette consience, prolongee par un organe polyvalent, la main, fait que non
seulement <i>Homo sapiens</i> est capable d'une activite reflechie, qui le
mene a poser notamment le probleme de sa signification et de celle du
monde, mais aussi d'une activite creactrice concrete.
</quote>

The quotations are from a selection of reviews published under the title
_Anachroniques_ (1962).