21.146 geographical models: the Netherlands

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 06:57:56 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 06:53:17 +0100
         From: "Hunsucker, R.L." <R.L.Hunsucker_at_uva.nl>
         Subject: RE: 21.144 geographical models: the Netherlands

Dear Willard and others,

If you can bear with me a bit longer : just a further note on what I
wrote in great haste on Saturday (before running off to the theatre).

In addtion to the typo ("teleration" for "toleration"), I note that the
direct url under which I accessed the pdf-file of Van Iterson's paper
doesn't work now that I try it after distribution on this list. Because
it's a quite interesting paper, let me mention, then, that you can get
to it e.g. via the Research Papers in Economics service at EconPapers
(http://econpapers.repec.org/paper/dgrumanib/1997008.htm)
or the University of Connecticut Econ Dept.'s "Ideas" site
(http://ideas.repec.org/p/dgr/umanib/1997008.html).

It is perhaps furthermore useful to mention that this particular
Netherlandish manifestation of a "native geographical model" came
into some international prominence with the rise and fall of the
so-called "polder model" * in the period of the 1990s through the
first five or so years of the 21st century. ( An obvious reference here
is the book _Exit polder model? : socioeconomic changes in the
Netherlands_, by Lei Delsen [revised and translated from the Dutch.
- Westport, Conn.: Praeger, 2002]. )

* The _OED_'s definition of "polder" being : "a piece of low-lying
land reclaimed from the sea, a river, etc., and protected by dykes".
The concept of a "polder mentality" is a fairly often-referred-to one
in these parts. It also plays a small part, by the way, in Jared Diamond's
_Collapse : how societies choose to fail or succeed_ (Allen Lane and
Viking, 2005).

- Laval Hunsucker
    UvAmsterdam