21.144 geographical models: the Netherlands

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 06:50:18 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 06:45:57 +0100
         From: "Hunsucker, R.L." <R.L.Hunsucker_at_uva.nl>
         Subject: RE: 21.136 geographical models?

Willard,

Very interesting topic to think about.

> > [ . . . ]
> Does anyone here know of others?

I've seen no reponse yet to this query, and may be speaking
slightly out of turn (as non-native here), but one that occurs to
me is the commonplace that Holland's centuries-long battle
with the waters has (but actually: to what extent?) determined
ways of thinking and acting (cooperation, compromise,
consensus, teleration) that were most obvious in the early
modern period, but still operative today. How far can you take
this -- also into the intellectual, literary and artistic spheres ?

As I say, this is a sort of commonplace, also here, a kind of
cliche. See, for example the paper by Ad van Iterson, "The
development of national governance principles in the Netherlands"
(Maastricht : NIBOR, 1997), available at :
http://arno.unimaas.nl/show.cgi?fid=3D655
-- but also, for a more critical view, dating to the same year :
"Dutch nation-building: a struggle against the water?", by Hans
Knippenberg in _GeoJournal_ 43.1, p.27-40. See, too, Sako
Musterd & Ben de Pater, "Eclectic and pragmatic: the colours
of Dutch social and cultural geography", _Social & cultural
geography_ 4.4 (2003), p.549-563.

- Laval Hunsucker
    UvAmsterdam