21.091 secret ontologizing

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 06:57:33 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 06:55:56 +0100
         From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
         Subject: secret ontologizing

[Although I suspect few of us have the necessary clearance to attend
the following, the existence of such things may be of interest to
some here. --WM]

>>From: Obrst, Leo J.
>Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 15:05:21 -0400
>

>Call for Papers: OIC 2007: ONTOLOGY FOR THE INTELLIGENCE COMMUNITY
>Towards Effective Exploitation and Integration of Intelligence Resources
>Hilton Hotel, Columbia, MD
>November 28-30, 2007
>(November 30th is CLASSIFIED: those with TS/SCI clearances only and will
>be in Hanover, MD, near Columbia, MD).
>The increasing volume, variety and velocity of intelligence analysis
>requires new approaches that will enable greater flexibility, precision,
>timeliness and automation of analysis to maximize valuable human
>resources in responding to fast-evolving threats.
>Ontology-based technology as applied in areas such as bioinformatics has
>demonstrated the possibility of gains along all of these dimensions. The
>time is ripe to extend these gains also to other spheres.
>This conference will bring together experts on ontology-based technology
>with particular experience in the problems facing the intelligence
>community. It will feature invited talks from prominent ontologists and
>intelligence community leaders, as well as submitted papers focusing
>especially on the creation of public-domain ontology resources to
>support the work of intelligence analysts.
>Conference Director: Barry Smith (National Center for Ontological
>Research, Buffalo)
>
>Scientific Committee
>Kathleen Stewart Hornsby (Maine) (Chair); Bill Andersen (Ontology
>Works); Selmer Bringsjord (Rensselaer); Werner Ceusters (Buffalo); Randall
>Dipert (Buffalo); Terry Janssen (Lockheed); Kathryn Laskey (George Mason
>University); Kevin Lynch (CIA); Leo Obrst (MITRE); Chris Welty (IBM
>Research)
>

>CALL FOR PAPERS
>Submissions are invited of short papers in pdf format (up to 1500 words)
>designed to serve as the basis for 20-minute oral presentations at the
>conference. Accepted papers will be published (at speaker discretion) in
>the proceedings, in both an online version and prospectively a printed
>version. The authors of selected papers will be invited to submit longer
>versions for publication in volume 1 of a new series on Ontology for the
>Intelligence Community.
>
>Papers may address a wide variety of issues addressing the ontology
>needs of the intelligence community. We are especially interested in
>papers devoted to the task of creating an interoperable suite of
>public-domain ontologies relevant to intelligence analysis, covering
>areas such as:
>
>emergency response
>urban settings
>geospatial / cartographic
>ethnicity
>social networks
>images and imaging
>transportation
>moving object tracking
>religion and politics
>biology and health

> [...]

Dr Willard McCarty | Reader in Humanities Computing | Centre for
Computing in the Humanities | King's College London |
http://staff.cch.kcl.ac.uk/~wmccarty/.