21.082 chasing themes vs finding structures

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 12:33:42 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:23:42 +0100
         From: Dr Tatjana Chorney <Tatjana.Chorney_at_SMU.CA>
         Subject: Re: 21.074 DH2007 keynote: chasing themes vs
finding structures?

Hi,

I missed last night's keynote, but I find Willard's summary of the
highlight below very provocative. With the understanding that I am
responding to the message below and not the talk itself, I would have
to say that the response strikes me as valid for the reason that DH
encompasses many disciplines some of which do not rely on thematic
analyses as much as we, in literatures, do.

My own sense, reflected in my presentation (I apologise for the plug)is
is that we need to start placing greater emphasis on the processes on
which work in the various DH discipines depends, rather than contiue
the traditional emphasis on content. The emphasis on process is made
easier, I think, by the new medium, but I am using this statment inh a
convceptual, symbolic sense as well as a formal one. Making the study
processes focal to each discipline would probably reveal that most
study and research in the humanities depends on similar processes (that
is, for example, on revealing and learning how interconnectivity and
transfer among various concepts, methods, approaches, interpretation is
achieved in each discipline).

I am not entirely sure what Moretti meant by form, but thininking in
terms of process and content may roughly correspond to the suggested
division between form and theme, but with a wider application.

   I am not working with statistical analyses or markup, so I am sure
that these remarks leave many questions unanswered, such as a very
basic one, which is do we need the digital for what I am suggestiung? I
guess I believe that the computer and the activities it enables are
more capable of facilitating the shift than any other traditional
medium, and that the "how" is worth further investigation....

Best,
Tatjana

Tatjana Chorney
Saint Mary's University
Canada

Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty