21.028 peer-review criteria

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 08:56:13 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: Martyn Jessop <martyn.jessop_at_kcl.ac.uk> (44)
         Subject: Re: 21.026 peer-review criteria?

   [2] From: Michael Fraser <mike.fraser_at_computing- (28)
                 services.oxford.ac.uk>

         Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 08:51:10 +0100
         From: Martyn Jessop <martyn.jessop_at_kcl.ac.uk>

I'm working on something similar but focussed specifically on
visualization projects in the digital humanities. I've found the
London Charter very useful. It deals with one aspect of humanities
computing, 3D visualization, applied to a very specific subject area;
cultural heritage but I am using it as a framework for a wider study.
The URL of the charter is http://www.londoncharter.org/.

It aims to produce a set of principles to ensure intellectual
integrity, reliability, transparency, documentation, standards,
sustainability and access. These are surely the qualities that should
be assessed in peer review. There is also a purpose beyond peer
review "to ensure that such work is intellectually and technically
rigorous, and for its potential in this domain to be realised, there
is a need both to establish standards responsive to the particular
properties of 3d visualization, and to identify those that it should
share with other methods." It sets out nine principles concerning

1. Subject Communities
2. Aims and Methods
3. Sources
4. Transparency Requirements
5. Documentation
6. Standards
7. Sustainability
8. Access

My paper at Digital Humanities 2007 in June will present some of the
work that I have based upon it for visualization projects in the humanities
as a whole.

My next point is rather more tightly focussed than you requested but I
think it is a particularly important aspect of peer review, (also
covered in the charter). It concerns 'paradata', i.e. documentation
about the research process; why particular decisions were made etc. I
recently attended a combined arts/sciences/humanities workshop and
the discussion of the importance of lab books to scientists struck a
chord. They fulfill a far more important role in scientific research
than I had realised. Artists document their research processes in
different ways but again for similar ends. Perhaps it's a practice we
should adopt in the digital humanities?

Martyn Jessop
Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London