20.428 methods for a novel? Peter Shillingsburg's seminar?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 06:14:16 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk> (24)
         Subject: methods for investigating a novel?

   [2] From: lachance_at_origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois (48)
                 Lachance)
         Subject: Re: 20.423 Peter Shillingsburg's London Seminar, 8
                 February

         Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 06:06:52 +0000
         From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>

Dear Humanist colleagues, I wonder if you could advise me which
methods to use to investigate the authorship of Tihiy Don (The Quiet
Don) by Mihail A. Sholohov? Some time ago there was a heated
discussion on the authorship of Tihiy Don for which Mihail Sholohov
received the Nobel Prize in literature. A. I. Solzhenitsyn, I.N.
Medvedeva-Tomashevskaya, Z. Tomashevskaya, A. Zayats, V, Pravdyuk, R.
Medvedev, A. Fomenko and M. Mezentsev are sure that M. Sholohov stole
the text of Tihiy Don from Fedor Kryukov, who was the Don writer and
died during the Russian Civil war in 1919. A. Fomenko studied the
frequency of occurrence of the functional words and came to the
conclusion that it was not Sholohov who wrote Tihiy Don (The Quiet
Don) but Fedor Kryukov. However, the Norwegian Slavist Kjetso came to
the oposite conclusion, using the statistical methods. Kjetso stated
that it was Sholohov who wrote Tihiy Don. I wonder if there were any
other investigations using math. statistical methods. I studied the
use of the prepositions in the prose of Sholohov, Krykov, Tolstoy,
Dostoevskiy, Goncharov, Turgenev, Bulgakov and some other writers. I
wonder in which journal or magazine I may publish my results. I'd
like to discuss my results with those interested. I am looking
forward to hearing from you to my e-mail address:
yutamb_at_mail.ru Sincerely yours Yuri Tambovtsev, Novosibirsk, Russia

Dr Willard McCarty | Reader in Humanities Computing | Centre for
Computing in the Humanities | King's College London |
http://staff.cch.kcl.ac.uk/~wmccarty/.