20.416 being of the plain style

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:13:20 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: "Hunsucker, R.L." <R.L.Hunsucker_at_uva.nl> (44)
         Subject: The perfect language (was: RE: 20.409 being of the
                 plain style)

   [2] From: "Rabkin, Eric" <esrabkin_at_umich.edu> (94)
         Subject: RE: 20.412 being of the plain style

         Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 07:57:08 +0000
         From: "Hunsucker, R.L." <R.L.Hunsucker_at_uva.nl>
         Subject: The perfect language (was: RE:
20.409 being of the plain style)

Willard wrote :

> Rather I want to ask, how are they being? How do we make sense
> of their restrictive statements, > indeed all statements designed to
> delimit language (or anything else) in such a fashion as to make a
> science of it possible?
> why does it not occur to him that such a science is ever so much
> more powerful by at least recognizing what it is excluding?
> The hypothesis I formed is that between Martianus and us falls
> something we call "the plain style", the rise of Baconian science and
> so the eclipse of figurative language. Can it be said that we are
> still the children of the plain style, and that a science of language
> is a science in that style?
> Are we, in consequence of computing, better able to appreciate
> figurative language -- because we run into so much of it as residue
> from our computational processes?

Another strike against logical positivism. Or ... ?

The dark side of 'the rise of Baconian science' was in my humble
opinion much more extensive and fundamental than this. One might
do well to contemplate Stephen Toulmin's pertinent manifesto in his
_Return to reason_ (Harvard University Press, 2001), perhaps best in
combination with his much older and better known _The uses of
argument_ (updated ed. Cambridge University Press, 2003).

But specifically on the language aspect : Something else that pops into
one's mind is the Neurath/Carnap notion of a "physikalische Sprache".
(E.g. : Rudolf Carnap, "Die physikalische Sprache als Universalsprache
der Wissenschaft", _Erkenntnis_ 2.1 (1931), p.432-465.) See too, e.g.,
Eco's _La ricerca della lingua perfetta nella cultura europea_ (Laterza,
1993 ; transl. as _The search for the perfect language_, Blackwell, 1995).
On p.336 he writes : "E ancora legato all'ideale baconiano era l'ideale del
positivismo logico, e la sua polemica contro la vaghezza del linguaggio
metafisico, creatore di pseudo-problemi." (I was put onto this last
reference by Roy Moxley in his "The modern/postmodern context of
Skinner's selectionist turn in 1945" in _Behavior and philosophy_ 29
(2001), p.121-153.)

More recent of possible interest on the matter is e.g. Angèle Kremer
Marietti's "Auguste Comte et la science unifiée", in _Auguste Comte :
trajectoires positivistes : 1798-1998_ (L'Harmattan, 2003).

Fascinating subject, Willard, and well introduced by you, in my opinion.

The perfect language is, of course, the one everybody would like to, but
nobody knows how to, speak.

- Laval Hunsucker
Amsterdam, Universiteitsbibliotheek