20.366 Markup Analysis Project (MAP) - Invitation to Participate

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard_at_mccarty.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:28:44 +0000

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:18:04 +0000
         From: "Paul Scifleet" <P.Scifleet_at_econ.usyd.edu.au>
         Subject: Markup Analysis Project (MAP) - Invitation to Participate

Invitation to participate in the Markup Analysis Project, Text Encoding
Initiative Survey 2006-2007

Dear colleagues

I'd like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in the
Markup Analysis Project.

The project is a markup usage study and survey, undertaken by the
Information Policy & Practice Research Group at the University of
Sydney, Australia, that has been designed to further our understanding
of the use of the Text Encoding Initiative Guidelines in scholarly
communication and electronic publishing.

Although there are a large and growing number of TEI practitioners
involved in digital library, e-publishing and scholarly communication
projects, to date very few studies have focussed on a community wide
study that explores our understanding of electronic text encoding at an
aggregate or shared level of experience for most practitioners. Our aim
here is to do just that.

The project combines a survey of practitioners (questionnaire) with a
content analysis of the documents that are encoded (through a study of
tag usage). You will be invited to complete the posted questionnaire and
contribute encoded text for markup analysis. We have anticipated that
many responses will require a richer explanation than can be achieved in
a questionnaire and we would also like to follow through with an
interview (by phone or online) following the preliminary analysis. All
up this study will take about three hours of your time across an
extended period. We have scheduled the study to commence in December
2006 and close at the end of March 2007.

We hope you will find the time to participate in all parts of this
important study. By reporting back on our findings to the community we
are aiming to support a wider understanding of practice.

All publicly registered TEI projects listed at http://www.tei-c.org have
been sent an Invitation to participate and a Project survey package by
air mail (that includes reply paid post envelops). All project
documentation is also available from the project website:
http://ipprg.econ.usyd.edu.au/projects/map . A pdf-form version of the
questionnaire will be available soon from the project website shortly
for those who prefer to complete and return an electronic version.

All electronic texts submitted for this study will be used only for the
purposes set out in the study and will not be made accessible over the
Internet, reproduced or published in any form. All rights and
permissions relating to works held by custodial institutions will be
respected at all times.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration. With your help,
this study will achieve its aim for a clearer understanding of digital
content development that will support the ongoing work of all
practitioners.

If you would like to participate in this study, are not currently listed
on the TEI project list, or have changed address and contact details
since your listing please contact me at any time to join the study.

Yours sincerely
Paul Scifleet

Paul Scifleet
Research Coordinator
Markup Analysis Project
Information Policy & Practice Research Group
p.scifleet_at_econ.usyd.edu.au

Room 406/Building H69
The University of Sydney
NSW 2006 Australia
Phone: +61 2 9036 6238
Fax: +61 2 9351 6638

Dr Willard McCarty | Reader in Humanities Computing | Centre for
Computing in the Humanities | King's College London |
http://staff.cch.kcl.ac.uk/~wmccarty/.