20.215 great promise, not great threat?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 07:55:18 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: Lynda Williams <lynda_at_okalrel.org> (101)
         Subject: Re: 20.211 great promise, not great threat?

   [2] From: Andrew Brook <abrook_at_ccs.carleton.ca> (26)

         Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 07:32:17 +0100
         From: Lynda Williams <lynda_at_okalrel.org>

Speaking as one who has switched back and forth between humanities and
sciences all her life and is currently in a phase of disillusionment
with science ... what good are powerful tools if they are applied in
pursuit of the wrong ends?

That's the problem.

Science has high status because it has proved it can spin straw into
gold. The more social confusion in our world, the more important money
is because money requires no complex cultural context in which to
provide meaning. It just "works". But like science, it has no power to
make lives meaningful at the human level in all the ways we have so
completely taken for granted thus far that we are not consciously
aware of their intrinsic value.

I like to play a mental game that goes like this: assume the coolest
possible whatever it is that you think you want. Now locate possession
of it in a world in which there is nothing but it. Would it satisfy?
If not, what is missing that was being taken for granted in the first
scenario?

e.g. All the money I desire. But it would be meaningless if I
possessed that in a world without anything but the money, itself. I am
presuming a backdrop of human activity (culture) that would value me
more highly because I possessed the money, award me special status
that would cause me pleasure because I am a social animal, and
therefore make me feel happiness. Which is intangible.

Regrettably, where one thing is measurable and another is not, the
measurable thing will always "look like" the valuable thing.

Lynda Williams, SF Author (http://www.okalrel.org)
2005 The Courtesan Prince - Edge SF and Fantasy
2006 "Harpy" in MYTHSPRING
2006 Guide to the Okal Rel Universe - Fandom Press