20.080 (critical) thinking and button-pushing

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:33:41 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 06:51:20 +0100
         From: lachance_at_chass.utoronto.ca
         Subject: Re: 19.531 (critical) thinking and button-pushing

Willard,

A few (perhaps self-evident) observations about your posting to Humanist
from December 2005.

You regale subscribers to an excerpt from Ian Hacking's 1995 book. I have
a silly question. Are the observations that Hacking makes still valid a
decade or so later? Also it is not clear to me from the excerpt whether
Hacking is commenting about the asking of questions to oneself or to
others or to both. I find myself at times praising at times blaming
reporters for not asking the evident questions. I wonder if there has been
a shift in the quality of the media's handling of the reporting of
research results.

I know that Hacking and yourself tie assessment with access. I'm not
entirely sure that these two activities (assessing and accessing) are
strongly connected. There seems to be at least for me the mediating
instance of reporting.

I bring attention to this possible triangualtion between reporting,
assessing, and accessing, in order to suggest that ease of tool use is not
necessarily inversely proportional to the exercise of thought. Does the
artist while sketching think? Does the computer user's ease in reiterating
computations count as a type of sketching?

Are we not more likely to see evidence of thinking in the reporting of
results rather than in the play at work in repeated computations which are
not easily open to intersubjective review? At what point is play thinking?

The storyline of scarce resources leading to better thinking may be
compelling. It is also dangerously inaccurate to forget the wasted moments
of the past. The quality of thinking does not always calibrated in a
postive relationship to the time spent in the activity. The old days
weren't always good ...