20.050 historical hygene

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 08:57:01 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: John Unsworth <unsworth_at_uiuc.edu> (66)
         Subject: Re: 20.049 historical hygene

   [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk> (69)
         Subject: historical awareness

         Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 08:42:37 +0100
         From: John Unsworth <unsworth_at_uiuc.edu>

On Jun 3, 2006, at 2:04 AM, Humanist Discussion Group (by way of
Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>) wrote:

> Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 20, No. 49.
> Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London
> www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/ humanist.html
> www.princeton.edu/humanist/
> Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu
>

> Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 08:01:28 +0100
> From: "Edward Vanhoutte" <edward.vanhoutte_at_kantl.be>
> > Maybe there's an important role here to play by ADHO.
>Their website could become the digital memory of digital humanities
>and prevent the unacceptable fact that on-line material complementing
>a paper in a refereed journal disappears after only three years.

That is indeed part of the purpose behind setting adho (the alliance
of digital humanities organizations) up on digitalhumanities.org,
first and foremost a site that is not hosted at any individual's
institution, but on a commercial ISP (textdrive.com). It's also why,
for DH2007, we will (for the first time) have the reviewing system
installed on digitalhumanities.org and not on a server at the local
host's institution. ADHO is intended to oversee the joint activities
of its constituent societies, in particular conferences and
publications: speaking as chair of the ADHO steering committee, I
think I can say that ADHO would be glad to have copies of any of the
materials that Edward refers to on deposit at digitalhumanities.org.
Some have already been collected, with help from Stefan Sinclair, at:

http://www.digitalhumanities.org/Essays/

Also, the ACH is already hosting its site on textdrive.com but ALLC
can't, because textdrive won't allow java on shared servers (because
of fears of memory leaks): the ALLC site is xml-driven, and uses
Tomcat (which is Java) to publish. That's good hygiene of a
different sort, but it happens to conflict with the objective of
moving the web site to neutral ground.

Of course, neutral siting is only one part of the problem, too--
managers of those sites then also need to be aware of the
consequences of moving files and changing URLS. If it's absolutely
necessary to do these things, there are ways to keep the links from
breaking (apache redirects, for example), but in very longest run,
it's only libraries that can come close to guaranteeing a stable
record of this intellectual community, and they are still struggling
with (though, I would say, gaining on) the problem of how to do this
when the record is digital. One small part of that process is
represented here:

http://www.ndiipp.uiuc.edu/

Of course, another very practical intervention in this area is

http://www.archive.org/index.php

where you will actually find, for example, an archived copy of
Willard's map, but only with some persistence. It's at:

http://web.archive.org/web/20021229004846/www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/
cch/allc/reports/map/

but if you search for the URL that Edward gave (http://www.allc.org/
reports/map/) using "The Wayback Machine" (not the first but the
second search-term entry window on the page at http://
www.archive.org/) it'll tell you that it doesn't have a copy. But if
you search for http://www.allc.org/ it will give you snapshots from
1999 to 2005. Some of these don't seem to be there any more (for
example, June 4, 2002) but others are (for example, Dec. 1, 2002) and
if you drill down in one of those, you can follow links to reports,
and then to the map intro and then to the map itself.
www.archive.org itself represents the remarkable committment of an
individual, Brewster Kahle, to preserve the web--and it is quite
useful and in many cases the only record of the past that exists.
However, as users of archive.org will learn and attest, it is partial
and fragile--as all memory is I guess, especially the older it gets.

John