20.033 possibly irrelevant conferences &c

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 10:24:44 +0100

  www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/cch/research/publications/humanist.html
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: Maurizio Lana (38)
         Subject: Re: 20.030 possibly irrelevant conferences &c

   [2] From: Patricia J. Moran (42)
         Subject: possibly irrelevant conferences &c

   [3] From: Gray Kochhar-Lindgren (7)

   [4] From: Francois Lachance (37)
         Subject: irreverant relevancy Re: 20.030 possibly irrelevant
                 conferences &c

         Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 10:10:20 +0100
         From: Maurizio Lana

At 09.05 24/05/2006, you wrote:
>It occurs to me that some Humanists may be
>puzzled if not annoyed at the number of
>conference announcements which have little to do
>with humanities computing, or at least little directly.
>[...]
>In my own work, esp in the last few years, I've
>discovered that much is happening, esp in
>computer science and in its nearest neighbours,
>which is either helpful to us or which deserves
>our critical commentary. I like to have
>information about the currently hot topics
>running by me so that I can have a sense of what
>our colleagues are up to, even if I sometimes
>regard their attention as misplaced.

i like to get many conferences announcements, as
long they are currently hot topics giving me the
sense of what's happening in the humanities
computing field and in the other nearest fields.
once we could be happy to limit ourselves to the
very subject of humanities computing but now this
same subject has grown in dimensions and wisdom
and so it is essential to know what's happening nearby.

this said, when i'm in a hurry i read only few
humanist messages, which i select by subject.
this is obvious, but it is a consequence of the
wealth of content of humanist: what i cannot read
can be read and become useful for another fellow humanist.

maurizio

Maurizio Lana - ricercatore
Dipartimento di Studi Umanistici - Universit=E0 del Piemonte Orientale a
  Vercelli
via Manzoni 8, I-13100 Vercelli
+39 347 7370925