18.760 wired solitaire or games of many hands, as suits

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 07:09:33 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: lachance_at_origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois (57)
                 Lachance)
         Subject: networked and solitaire

   [2] From: Wendell Piez <wapiez_at_mulberrytech.com> (172)
         Subject: Re: 18.752 beyond being dubious and gloomy

         Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 07:00:35 +0100
         From: lachance_at_origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)

Willard

In Humanist 18.752, Vika takes up Wendell's invocation of the topos of the
solitary scholar. I would like to emphasize the "preserve" in what she
quotes. The object of Wendell's discourse is not so much persons as spaces:

> Hello, Wendell!
>
> You write:
>
> > Rather, I think the blind spot is much closer to home, in that
> > humanities disciplines have long been constituted, and structured
> > institutionally (as has been observed many times on HUMANIST), as
preserves
> > for solitary scholars, while our work shows more than ever how
dependent we
> > are on the various talents of many. Accordingly, nominal and actual

<snip/>

> I guess I had taken it as a given that the "collaboration is good"
> message was sort of preaching to the choir, on Humanist. But hadn't
> the discussion started as one about academe as a whole, whose
> mindstate on this (as you've pointed out) is markedly different from
> that of humanities computing? Maybe I was projecting. :)

<snip/>

Vika goes on to make the plea for greater communication. Somehow the
discourse has shifted from collaboration to communication. I think there
is some advantage in considering how the spaces for solitary reflection
and experimentation inform the shape of collaborative environments,
institutional preserves open to sharing privilege.

It is an insufficiency of solitary space for thought that hampers the
academy and the disciplines in the communicative enterpise posited by Vika
and others. This is not just a baby and bath water situation. It is about
being aware of what you berate -- you may be undermining core values that
sustain not institutions but civilizations.

What will garner the social capital to support the institutions not only
of higher learning but educational institutions offering to all,
regardless of merit, ability or wealth, opportunities to participate in
collective intellectual and cultural life?

A counter-intuitive, perhaps, response is to boldly suggest that what the
academy, including the discipline of humanities computing, requires is
more space for the solitary practice of thinking and tinkering. In such
spaces Tyche sometimes has a role equal to that of Techne.

Innovation: Essays by Leading Canadian Researchers
Ed. by James Downey and Lois Claxton
Toronto: Key Porter Books, 2002 p. 15

<quote>
While researchers may use highly sophisticated machines, they themselves
are subject to the same vagaries of chance experience as the rest of us.
Their discoveries are often a unique and unpredictable mix of curiousity,
circumstance, skill, and personal reflection.
</quote>

If you knock the image of that solitary scholar at play, you risk
destroying the chances of enlarging the preserve or at least making it
more permeable.

--
Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance/jardin