18.753 Zeitgeist metrics

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 07:16:08 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: Patrick Durusau <patrick_at_durusau.net> (50)
         Subject: Re: 18.750 Zeitgeist metrics

   [2] From: Lynda Williams <lynda_at_okalrel.org> (76)
         Subject: Re: 18.744 Zeitgeist metrics

         Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 07:10:21 +0100
         From: Patrick Durusau <patrick_at_durusau.net>

Paul,

Paul Oppenheimer writes:

>I am reminded of a fine novel about a young Spanish-speaking woman in the
>United States. (I apologize to the author of the novel: I remember
>neither the author's name nor the title of the novel.) The most memorable
>line in the novel for me was uttered in the character voice of a Native
>American (First Peoples) man, who said, "The white man's campfire is a TV
>set." There have been various cultures and subcultures (think for instance
>of those brought up from childhood on the Greek and Latin classics,
>translating English poetry into Greek poetry and vice versa), but, at least
>here in the USA, there seems to be no common cultural vocabulary. I don't
>know what to do about it. My instinct is to keep telling people about the
>dead white european males (dwems) who formed the common culture for the
>generations before my own. But I don't know whether I can get anyone to
>listen. If a student can read a paragraph part of which is "Some believe
>that p. But since p is preposterous, ..." and then summarize the views of
>the author of the paragraph as p, carefully cited with a footnote, is there
>any hope? Without any common language or points of reference, how is a
>common culture possible. I see the grand experiment of the usa
>disintegrating before my eyes. As late as 1968 or 1969, there were still
>common cultural elements inculcated through the public (American sense)
>school system. Now, there seems to be no cultural point of reference that
>one can count on being recognized. This is without even addressing the
>problem of mathematical and scientific illiteracy.

Is your concern over the lack of a common culture or the lack of the common
culture you would prefer?

If a majority of the population suffers from mathematical and scientific
illiteracy but is familiar with the TV shows Seinfeld and Friends, is your
complaint that you don't care for the common culture as it exists?

Do the writings of the framers of the US Constitution reflect a "common
culture" of the time or was the common culture mathematical and scientific
illiteracy and the equivalent of Seinfeld and Friends?

Could it be the notion of a "common culture" is a fiction that has arisen
from a largely silent historical record?

Does anyone seriously think the Hebrew Bible represents the uniform
religious practice of a culture, when it spends so much time condemning
departures from that practice? Why condemn transgressions if they are not
in fact occurring? How prevalent those transgressions were, the historical
record does not say. Could it be that those transgressions were the "common
culture" and the record that survives is a condemnation of that culture?

There may be a lack of a "common culture" but perhaps that has always been
the case.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--