18.751 Technology Source archives rescued

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 07:14:56 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 07:08:42 +0100
         From: "James L. Morrison" <morrison_at_unc.edu>
         Subject: The Technology Source Archives Are Under Construction

I am delighted to announce that The Technology Source (TS) archives will be
available to the Internet community courtesy of the UNC School of Public
Health Executive Master's Programs in Health Policy and Administration,
which has funded the reprogramming of TS content on UNC's ibiblio server.
As you may know, ibiblio is billed as "the public's library and digital
archive," and is one of the largest conservatories of freely available
information on the Internet (see the "About" page at
http://www.ibiblio.org/about.html ). What you may not know is that UNC's
School of Public Health Executive Master's Programs in Health Policy and
Administration is one of the first programs in the country to offer
distance education degrees in health administration and, therefore, has
supported online education and using information technology tools to
enhance the educational process for years.

As Jim Porto, the program's director, told me when authorizing funding for
this project, "The Technology Source has been a valuable source of
information on topics relevant to our delivery of distance education
courses. We hated to see the rich archive of articles no longer available
to researchers and practitioners. As strong advocates of maintaining open
access to knowledge stores, we felt it important that we take action to
preserve the archive. We are confident that our modest investment will
yield rewards for a long time to come."

It is clear that electronic journals represent a large part of the future
of academic journals because these publications enhance the professional
communication process using the same tools that we urge educators to take
advantage of in schools, but it is also obvious that e-journals are fragile
and can quickly disappear into cyberspace. A movement is growing, however,
whereby colleges and universities are becoming publishers of open-source
academic e-journals, which, hopefully, will allow them to have more
stability. We are certainly grateful to Paul Jones, who directs ibiblio,
and to Jim Porto and his colleagues in public health for their foresight
(and funds!) in ensuring that TS remains available to the community.

We have a draft template of the archives posted on ibiblio at
www.technologysource.org and hope to have the reprogrammed ejournal,
complete with search engine and "read related" features, available
mid-summer at this address.

I was deeply touched by the 400 plus letters I received in response to my
announcement that the Michigan Virtual University (MVU) was no longer able
to host the TS archives. I was unable to respond to every letter, but
please know that all were appreciated. Also know that MVU has posted a
pointer from the www.ts.mivu.org address to the ibiblio site, so the some
13,000 or so web sites that had links to TS are no longer broken links.

Best.

Jim

----
James L. Morrison
Editor-in-Chief, Innovate
http://www.innovateonline.info
Professor Emeritus of Educational Leadership
UNC-Chapel Hill
http://horizon.unc.edu