18.750 Zeitgeist metrics

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 07:05:56 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: Paul Oppenheimer <paul.oppenheimer_at_gmail.com> (85)
         Subject: Re: 18.744 Zeitgeist metrics

   [2] From: Steven D.Krause <skrause_at_emich.edu> (52)

         Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 06:56:43 +0100
         From: Paul Oppenheimer <paul.oppenheimer_at_gmail.com>

Willard,

I am reminded of a fine novel about a young Spanish-speaking woman in the
United States. (I apologize to the author of the novel: I remember
neither the author's name nor the title of the novel.) The most memorable
line in the novel for me was uttered in the character voice of a Native
American (First Peoples) man, who said, "The white man's campfire is a TV
set." There have been various cultures and subcultures (think for instance
of those brought up from childhood on the Greek and Latin classics,
translating English poetry into Greek poetry and vice versa), but, at least
here in the USA, there seems to be no common cultural vocabulary. I don't
know what to do about it. My instinct is to keep telling people about the
dead white european males (dwems) who formed the common culture for the
generations before my own. But I don't know whether I can get anyone to
listen. If a student can read a paragraph part of which is "Some believe
that p. But since p is preposterous, ..." and then summarize the views of
the author of the paragraph as p, carefully cited with a footnote, is there
any hope? Without any common language or points of reference, how is a
common culture possible. I see the grand experiment of the usa
disintegrating before my eyes. As late as 1968 or 1969, there were still
common cultural elements inculcated through the public (American sense)
school system. Now, there seems to be no cultural point of reference that
one can count on being recognized. This is without even addressing the
problem of mathematical and scientific illiteracy. What can HUMANIST
members do? As teachers or as independent scholars, we address very small
audiences. The major Internet portals (major as measured by traffic) are
in business to make money. Can we enlist MSN. AOL, Yahoo, and the like to
the cause of building or rebuilding a common culture? How would we
motivate them? Even if we convinced or persuaded them to join our cause,
would we know how to go about our task?

On 4/26/05, Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty )
<<mailto:willard_at_lists.village.virginia.edu>
willard_at_lists.village.virginia.edu> wrote:
                     <http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/>www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                          www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                       Submit to:
<mailto:humanist_at_princeton.edu>humanist_at_princeton.edu