18.682 interdisciplinarity is anthropological

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 16:03:14 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:46:08 +0100
         From: "Christine Goldbeck" <cgoldie_at_verizon.net>
         Subject: Re: 18.669 disciplines are an illusion?

I concur with your view "a true interdisciplinarian" ought to be a kind
of anthropologist, understanding his/her own assumptions and constructing
the ethnography of the cross discipline before engaging in anykind of
synthesis of the material."

I have found that to cross the boundaries successfully, a critical
knowledge of the humanistic history of the disciplines I practice is
paramount to my work. With a strong grounding, we are able to move beyond
the borders and to unite the artistic and scientific diciplines that we
have kept separate for far too long. Such is what I have gleaned from my
studies and my practice in print writing, photography, electronic story and
imaging.

The program in which I am enrolled, the Master of Fine
Arts-Interdisciplinary Arts at Goddard College in Vermont, encourages
practitioners to focus on the artist and communities involved in the
process of practicing/viewing interdisciplinarity. Perhaps, this is why I
was so drawn to your statement as quoted above.

One thing I have found is that writers are far more cynical of crossing
boundaries and marrying mediums than are visual artists.

On a simple level, crossing boundaries and practicing interdisciplinary is
a matter of "thinking outside the box."

Sincerely,
Christine
www.christinegoldbeck.com