18.639 making shorter links

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:37:54 +0000

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: James Cummings <James.Cummings_at_ota.ahds.ac.uk> (22)
         Subject: Re: 18.630 making shorter links

   [2] From: Pat Galloway <galloway_at_ischool.utexas.edu> (14)

         Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:30:23 +0000
         From: James Cummings <James.Cummings_at_ota.ahds.ac.uk>

Willard,

A number of people have rightly suggested www.tinyurl.com as a good method
to make shorter links. I'd like to add my voice to that crowd of
people. One of the benefits that may have escaped people is the browser
integration possible with tinyurl.com. In my preferred browser of firefox
there is an extension which exists that means that if I right-click on any
page, one of the context menu options is to "Create a tinyurl for this
page". If I right-click on a link I get offered the ability to create a
tinyurl for that link. I do not visibly visit the tinyurl website (the
browser does that all for me) and it automatically copies it to the clipboard.

This firefox extension makes it extremely easy to pass on links to pages
that interest you, as long as you don't care about the link being permanent.

More information about this firefox extension is available at:

http://tinyurl.com/3wucu

which I suppose is better than:

https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&version=1.0%20&os=ALL&category=Miscellaneous&id=126

Just thought I'd pass on that useful extension.

-James

--
Ask me about free long-term preservation of your electronic texts!