18.624 questionnaire on digital tools and research

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 07:30:56 +0000

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 07:16:06 +0000
         From: John Unsworth <unsworth_at_uiuc.edu>
         Subject: acls commission requests your input

[posted for Roy Rosenzweig]:

Have digital resources and tools affected your research?

I am a member of the ACLS Commission on Cyberinfrastructure in the
Humanities & Social Sciences
(http://www.acls.org/cyberinfrastructure/cyber.htm) and we are looking for
examples of how digital resources and tools have changed, are changing, and
might change how historians and other scholars are doing their research.
For example, are you using (or have you used) online resources (e.g.,
ProQuest Historical Newspapers, American Memory, Making of America,
Eighteenth Century Collections Online, or other smaller collections) and
tools in a dissertation, book, or article? We are particularly interested
in examples of where digital resources and tools are allowing you to do
research (and to learn things) that you couldn't have done ten or twenty
years ago.

The examples need not be grand scale; they could be ways that you learned
very specific things that were important to your work. We would also, of
course, be interested in barriers or problems, e.g., "that resource is
great, but if only I had this other resource" of "if only I could access it
in this other way."

Please email me at roy_at_gmu.edu with your examples or you can fill out an
online survey form at http://chnm.gmu.edu/tools/surveys/573/

thanks,
Roy Rosenzweig,
Director, Center for History and New Media (http://chnm.gmu.edu)