18.623 Humanities and Technology conference; Russian cultural identity workshop

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 07:22:17 +0000

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: "Wayne Hanewicz" <HANEWIWA_at_uvsc.edu> (44)
         Subject: Call for Papers: 2005 Humanities and Technology
                 Conference

   [2] From: Henrike Schmidt <henrike.schmidt_at_ruhr-uni- (29)
                 bochum.de>
         Subject: Workshop Russian-cyberspace.org - Cultural identity
                 performances on the Russian Internet

         Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 07:15:15 +0000
         From: "Wayne Hanewicz" <HANEWIWA_at_uvsc.edu>
         Subject: Call for Papers: 2005 Humanities and Technology Conference

Colleagues:

The 2005 Humanities and Technology Conference will be held at the
Snowbird Resort (an absolutely beautiful area in the mountains), Salt
Lake City, Utah, October 6,7, and 8. The Theme of the Conference is "A
Dislogue on Technology and Human Life: Finding Meaning and Cultivating
Humanity in a 21st Century Technologcial World." The Conference is
presented by Utah State University's Departments of Technology
Management, Philosophy and Humanities, and the Center for the Study of
Ethics. We are soliciting abstracts on the following areas:

The Human Dimensions and Implications of Artificial Intelligence and
Robotics
The Relevance and Meaning of Quantum Physical Concepts and Phenomena
Digital Identity and the Information Society
The Computer's Impact on Art, Music and Performance
How Technology Alters Our Understanding of Ourselves
The Future of Spirituality in the Information Age
The Link Between Science and Technology
Gender and Technology
The Changing Role of the Arts and Humanities in a Technological
Society
The Nature of a "Good Education" in the 21st Century
Transgenic Art
The Role of Technology in Creating and Sustaining Global Justice and
Equality
The Translation and Communication of Scientific and Technological
Innovation
The Notion of "Progress"
Neuroscience, Psychopharmacology and the Notion of "Self"

We will be organized in small discussion groups to support genuine
dialogue among participants. We will also include a special section for
student papers.

Submit abstracts (no more than 300 words) no later than April 30, 2005
to HTA_at_UVSC.EDU. Final selected papers due July 1, 2005. Send
questions to Dr. Wayne B. Hanewicz, Conference Coordinator, at
hanewiwa_at_uvsc.edu. A full Conference Announcement will be published
by April 1, 2005.

Judging from our e-discussions, it seems to me that several of you have
an interest in examining these questions. I hope that you will consider
attending this event. It is one of the few such events that will create
an evironment for serious conversation and dialogue among small groups
of knowledgeable and seriously interested people.

Dr. Wayne B. Hanewicz
Conference Coordinator
801-863-6343