18.545 material culture of humanities computing

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 06:38:02 +0000

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: "Rabkin, Eric" <esrabkin_at_umich.edu> (43)
         Subject: RE: 18.542 material culture of humanities computing

   [2] From: Vika Zafrin <amarena_at_gmail.com> (81)

         Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 06:27:14 +0000
         From: "Rabkin, Eric" <esrabkin_at_umich.edu>

Dear Willard,

You write that "The universality and plasticity of computing mean that
as an epistemic device it offers and so leads us into unlimited making
of things. Does it not thereby throw a light, hereafter difficult to
ignore, on knowing as a process of making and remaking?" Your comments
about computing thus being always conscious (as opposed to Polanyi's
"tacit") seem to me to reflect your thoughtful approach to computing
rather than the generality of users. I believe people in most
behaviors, and even in computing, seek, even if only unconsciously, a
useful thoughtlessness, some so that their lives are felt to be less
complex and some so that they can build on the accepted foundation to
examine new concerns, but in all cases so that life feels more
manageable. This thoughtlessness, as Polanyi indicates with his example
of the blind man feeling the sidewalk with his cane rather than feeling
the cane, is useful. Now put a pencil into someone's hand. I am always
amazed at people who can just pick one up and draw something that looks
good; I can't. But my lab class students are often amazed to see me
just "pick up" Powerpoint and create not only objects but animations
with about the same tacit thoughtlessness that I can write prose with a
pencil. Of course, if I choose to make a beautiful animation, I focus
on it and the tool ceases to be tacit, just as I need to focus on my
handwriting if I expect anyone else to read it. It seems to me that
some aspects of humanities computing do become tacit. When I run simple
update queries (e.g., computing the age of authors at the time of
publication of their works), I don't consciously think about how
databases function at all; I merely find the right fields and make the
right calculation, as I would if I were trying to estimate the cost of a
trip (ground, air, hotel, then addition; I don't ask how addition
works). By way of parallel, language itself strikes me as the
archetypal general purpose tool, one that certainty can claim a role in
constructing the world, but most of us most of the time ("Hi, how are
you?" "Fine, thanks. And you?") use it tacitly, transparently. When we
don't, we're often beings critics or artists, which is fine. But not
the constant practice of most people.

Or so it seems to me.

Best wishes,

Eric

Eric S. Rabkin 734-764-2553 (Office)
Dept of English 734-764-6330 (Dept)
Univ of Michigan 734-763-3128 (Fax)
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1003 esrabkin_at_umich.edu
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~esrabkin/